Friday, October 9, 2009

Extra Credit - Whip It


So, there wasn't a wait in line for Whip It like I thought there would have been only a week after it came out. I got to the theater about 15 minutes early and I was the only one sitting to see what I think was the most heart-warming story I've seen this year, so far. Not ever having played roller-derby, I could still relate to the message in this movie about defying the "normal" way of life. Just like Ellen Page's character, I am paving my own path with the career I've chosen to study. This movie isn't like your typical boy-meets-girl romantic girlie movie. This was about standing up for what you believe in, or what you want to do with your own life instead of letting people choose for you. I nearly cried when character Marcia Gay Harden's character read the note from her daughter.
This was a perfect directorial debut for Drew Barrymore, who also played a character in it who happened to be on the ground more than skating in the movie. She has a knack for being a more physical comedian than people give her credit for. It was also good to see the likes of Daniel Stern, and Juliette Lewis who played Dad and one of the rival skaters respectively. There were so many awesome real life derby girls that were in it as well.

If you haven't seen this movie yet, what are you waiting for? Go see it... And remember, you CAN do anything if you put your mind to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment