Saturday, October 3, 2009

Extra Credit - Double Feature: Lost Boys & Near Dark



There's only a hand full of movies that can be watched over and over again from when I was a child, and The Lost Boys is definitely one of them. The Coreys are at their best playing opposite each other: Corey Haim as the new kid in town and Corey Feldman as one half of the Frog Brothers. Watching this in the Castro Theater was amazing. The ticket booth was separate from the rest of the building and there was just enough room for one ticket person. Just beforehand my girlfriend and I had dinner next door and ran into another classmate and her boyfriend and so it became an impromptu double-feature double-date.

When it came time for the second feature Near Dark, I was excited to find out that my classmate hadn't seen either movie and was glad to hear that she liked Lost Boys. It had been a long time since I had seen Near Dark and it was like watching a new movie all over again. Bill Paxton was the highlight for me because Near Dark couldn't hold a candle to Lost Boys for me. Kathryn Bigelow and her writer companion Eric Red wrote a great story for the time, but there wasn't a lasting impression like I felt from LB.

No comments:

Post a Comment