Thursday, October 15, 2009

Extra Credit - Repo! The Genetic Opera

Blending two things I enjoy a lot, music and movies, Repo! The Genetic Opera wasn't all that I hoped for in a musical. I have seen Rocky Horror a few times, both in the theater and on DVD and Repo doesn't come close to it's predecessor as far as story and talent. I did enjoy the blend of the comic strip intro and the "graverobber" as the narrator, but I just felt too forced into the songs, and the characters. The sets and costumes were a good fit for the story and I really like the visual affects for the transitions

Alexa Vega now has something other than the Spy Kids movies to her list of roles she has played. Paul Sorvino goes over the top as the head of an evil corporation bent on ruling the world through genetics and body parts. It all seems too much to hold together as a musical, but I would have rather seen it as a straight narrative story. Darren Lynn Bousman directed this after his Saw experiences on 2 through 4 of that series. Darren Smith & Terrance Zdunich wrote and had parts in the film as well. Rounding out the eclectic cast is Paris Hilton, Sarah Brightman, Bill Moseley and Joan Jett who went uncredited but her distinctive look and sound was obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment