Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Homework Movie - Midnight Cowboy


“Hey, I’m walkin’ here!”

I never knew what movie it really came from until I watched Midnight Cowboy. This was by far the most difficult movie for me to watch this semester. I had to try watching it several times throughout the week. Jon Voight and Dustin Hoffman play the worst best friends in this “Buddy” picture I’ve ever seen. It took them two thirds of the way through the movie to even become somewhat nice to each other. Even when they were nice to each other, Joe Buck still had to jab at “Ratso” Rizzo about his name. As the saying goes, “With friends like that, who need enemies.”

The realness of Dustin’s character trying to keep hustling even the hustler, shows that his character would do anything to survive. The reluctant hero then becomes Joe Buck after he finally makes his hustling career true and then he has to go even further down the path into dangerous territory where he doesn’t want to by stealing to help his friend get to Florida. They never faltered from their characters ideas about who they were. I’m sure over time had the movie not ended the way it did, would the two guys be friends because of all the things they had done for each other. I’ve had some friends that, even though I don’t see them as often anymore, I would still do whatever it takes to help them out of a bind like Joe’s character does.

Some of the interesting scenes were the flashback scenes of Joe’s mother and girlfriend towards the middle of the movie. They showed what Joe wanted to believe and then what actually happened. And the final “dream” sequence in the party was a real well put together “drug trip” scene for the time when the movie was made. Several of today’s directors take example from this scene or have incorporated parts from this into their own, like Terry Gilliam in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

And come to find out, on of my favorite bands of the 90's Faith No More covered the song on their third album, Angel Dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment