Sunday, November 8, 2009

Extra Credit - Triple feature - Love in the 90's (True Romance, Natural Born Killers, & Doom Generation)



When I saw the first two movies on our syllabus this semester, I had to go to my bosses and no matter what I wanted this day off! I hadn't seen these movie on the big screen when they came out and really wanted to see them as they were and are intended. On the big screen! Love in the 90's was an amazing trio of one liners and action sequences that was tough to compare to when they were made. As far as I'm concerned, True Romance (written by Quentin Tarantino and directed by Tony Scott) and Natural Born Killers (again written by QT but directed by Oliver Stone) were a constant in my VHS player in my room. I would have the door shut and the volume way up, pissing off my mom to no end watching these movies after work at the video store where I was turned onto these films in the first place.



Flash forward 15 years, I was standing outside after the last of these killer 90's movies played (which was Doom Generation before I forget). There were so many different discussions going on about the outcome of the finale film, which sounded like most of the audience hadn't seen before that night. Nobody seemed to have seen the ending coming and were totally shocked, many with jaws still to the floor after ten or so minutes outside. I love going to the movies where I've seen them before JUST to see the people's reactions to something shocking or out of place in todays film going experiences. Sure, there's a time and place for the truly shocking like some of the stuff in Doom Gen., but that was what the director was feeling at the time, as was most of the youth of the 90's. Gregg Araki wore many hats working on this film, as he has done on all of his films, writing, producing, and directing every single one he's worked on.

No comments:

Post a Comment